If I ran into ISBD in a dark alley I would take it out with my pocket
knife and do us all a big favor. Using punctuation to make a statement is
so last century. Computers should not have to do parsing of text strings
to know what you are trying to tell us. Is there a bracket? Yes? No? Is
there a period? A comma? A slash? And the punctuation is there whether I,
in my application, care to display it that way or not. ISBD was made for
catalog cards and it's long past time for us to realize that those days
are long over. Display needs to be completely divorced from data.
Semantics should not be embedded into text strings.
Roy