All

Karen said: “… unfortunately, FRBR was designed around relational database concepts and does not fit well into the RDF world

This is what FRBR actually says: “The methodology used in this study is based on an entity analysis technique that is used in the development of conceptual models for relational database systems. Although the study is not intended to serve directly as a basis for the design of bibliographic databases, the technique was chosen as the basis for the methodology because it provides a structured approach to the analysis of data requirements that facilitates the processes of definition and delineation that were set out in the terms of reference for the study.

I don’t think that’s quite the same thing. In any case, a normalized RDBMS is a very good fit indeed with the RDF world; see, for example, the work of the W3C RDB2RDF Working Group [1].

Karen also said “FRBR has an OWL vocabulary called ‘FRBRer’ that has a whole host of problems (not the least of which is a fairly deep misunderstanding of OWL).” I am sure the FRBR Review Group would like to correct any problems, so it would be useful if you could elaborate on what the problems are. Also, please let us know what is being misunderstood about OWL.

Cheers

Gordon

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/