Karen

I agree that the use of "constraint" in RDF and OWL documentation is misleading - but then that is why the expression of "what we mean" in RDF is so useful for data and applications in bibliographic information retrieval services which deal explicitly with the way humans label things :-)

I and other members of the FRBR Review Group have read that documentation, and we hope we have understood it correctly. As far as I know, we have never claimed that the declaration of property cardinality constraints, or indeed domains and ranges, is a data validation technique.

However, I think the declaration of the intentions of a model, schema, ontology, or whatever you want to call it, in RDF is highly desirable as a first step in developing applications for data that purport to follow the model. That was the context of my presentation in Lisbon [1][2]. I recall that the dominant topic in the discussion that followed was the meaning of "constraint" and data validation rather than the questions I raised in the presentation, so they remain unanswered :-(

So I can say that it is the intention of the FRBR Review Group to express the model using OWL cardinality constraints. The automatic identification of "sameAs" instances of Works and Manifestations by reasoners will be useful, for example, in applications that bring together FRBR-conformant data from multiple local sources. It may well be useless or harmful to other applications; I think it is up to the application. I repeat, if there is anything wrong with this, please (anyone) let us know!

Is there a specific reason you say "[the "realizes" relationship between FRBRer:expression and FRBRer:work has owl:qualifiedCardinality "1"] does not conform, AFAIK, to the E-R analysis in FRBR"? I think it is fairly clear from the FRBR report containing the results of applying E-R techniques that "one and only one" is the intended cardinality between Expression and Work, and Item and Manifestation.

Cheers

Gordon

[1] The FRBR ontology (pptx with animation): http://www.gordondunsire.com/pubs/pres/FRBROWL.pptx

[2] The FRBR ontology (pdf with no animation): http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/dc-2013/paper/view/139/158