Yes, alphabetical order for its own sake is not particularly helpful, but it can be useful as an information retrieval mechanism. For example, if you try to do a lookup for "London (England)" in the current version of the BIBFRAME Editor, you may be disappointed to find that your lookup retrieves a number of individual London locations, but not the top-level entity "London (England)" itself.

This is because the current lookup is not left-anchored, but rather does a keyword search over individual headings. In this case, simple alphabetical order would seem to make the lookup task easier. Hint: as one astute user discovered, if you do a lookup for "Londinium," you will in fact retrieve "London (England)" as the only result, since "Londinium" has been provided as a variant heading in the authority record for "London (England)" (and apparently appears nowhere else in the Name Authority File).

Tim

--
Tim A. Thompson
Metadata Librarian (Spanish/Portuguese Specialty)