The breakdown, or division, you see in the OCLC/Schema document actually
reflects our thinking initially, and by "initially" I mean in that
period after the introduction of the model/vocabulary but before we'd
done some real experimentation and testing.  Rob's synopsis captures the
division as we see it today.  (And you hit on a small issue, which is
that old documentation is not as revisited as one would like in order to
update to reflect changes.)

All the best,
Kevin