This seems to me to be a really excellent opportunity to take advantage of the opportunity presented by Linked Data. We could translate: "Paris [France]" to http://dbpedia.org/data/Paris or some other specific choice,  or  "Chicago [Illinois]" to http://sws.geonames.org/4887398 or some other specific choice… we could use identifiers for a task for which they are very well suited: disambiguation.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library