Agreed.

The transcription element aside, which would be contained within the publisherStatement, I would expect a value vocabulary be used, and therefore an identifier be used, when recording the place of publication /as data/.  In that case, the identifier would be specific to Paris, France versus Paris, Texas.

Yours,
Kevin