The example

<http://example.org/1> a bf:Instance,
     bf:publishedBy [ a bf:Organization ; bf:label "Hamlyn" ] ;
     bf:publishedAt [ a bf:Place ; bf:label "London" ] ;
     bf:publishedOn "1966" .

is not preferable because it does not model the publication process right.

bf:publishedBy / bf:publishedAt / bf:publishedOn have no relationship
between each other and that will become fatal, for example, if there is
more than one publication in the lifecycle of the instance (e.g. reprints).

Publication is an event, I agree with Rob. The British Library is using in
their model publication events, too.

Such type of events can be recorded using event attribute lists, by a
simple bf:publication, tying the relations together, like this:

<http://example.org/1> a bf:Instance,
    bf:publication [
        event:place place:Chicago ;
        event:agent corp:UniversityOfChicago
    ], [
        event:place place:Paris ;
        event:agent corp:GautherVillars
    ], [
        event:date "1955"^xsd:date
    ] .
place:Chicago rdfs:label "Chicago"@en .
corp:UniversityOfChicago rdfs:label "University of Chicago Press"@en .
place:Paris rdfs:label "Paris"@en .
corp:GautherVillars "Gauther-Villars"@en .

The semantics of this RDF is: "The Bibframe instance http://example.org/1
was published at Chicago by University of Chicago and also at Paris by
Gauther-Villars in the year of 1955".

There is no longer the need to carry the information in "statement"
sequences like in MARC , it can all be encoded into clear attribute
sequences, one fact by another, for better evaluation by the machine
interpreting the triples.

And it is easy to extend the domain of bf:publication to people, places,
dates, corporate bodies (publishers), or even to WS84 geographic
coordinates in addition to place names, for example, to pin the location on
OpenStreetMap or Google Maps, wherever you want.

Jörg