There is a significant difference between applying RDF based data modelling, SPARQL, OWL, and other techniques in the privacy of your own enterprise data architecture, and the use of Linked Data principles to share information with others.

I would be well to remind ourselves in this thread of those four simple principles[1]:

  1.  Use URIs for names of things.
  2.  Use http URIs so people can look up those names.
  3.  When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information using the standards (RDF)
  4.  Include links to other URIs, so they can discover more things.

Principles 2, 3, 4 can be interpreted as encouraging you not to use blank nodes wherever possible.

I would suggest that the most powerful benefit of sharing data using these principles the the ability for both people and machines to use �follow your nose� navigation across the relationships between described entities from many sources.  Much linked data is published via raw files without the need or use of Sparql or other data processing end-points.

Making assumptions about the availability of OWL inferencing, and sparql queries to drive discovery places unnecessary burden on those that will want to implement systems, simply publish linked data, and simply consume it.

[1]http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

~Richard