Hi Adam,

More the second than the first.

For the record, I do not think it dangerous or crazy for you or anyone
to publish assertions using VIAF URIs as their subject, but I do believe
there are potentially some serious implications when one does such a
thing.  Anyone can literally say anything about anything so, regardless,
it is a real issue that exists today and must be managed versus outlawed or
otherwise made impossible.  It has generally been managed to date by
people choosing /not/ to make assertions using other's URIs as subjects.

If people or organizations mint their own URI and make assertions using
that URI as the subject, then, yes, it helps with managing provenance
and a number of other long-term issues.

There's been lots of talk about provenance and the like in a global
graph of data, but I feel most of those discussions rely on fairly
technical mechanisms, the complexity of which outweigh the simplicity of
minting one's own URI.  (Also, the provenance statements will need their own
URIs!)

Yours,
Kevin