No, it does not!

We need to distinguish carefully between the URI, which is a pure identifier, and the URI-that-happens-to-be-an-URL, which is also a pointer or link. Much of the power of linked data comes precisely from combining those roles, but that needs to be a conscious decision and not a matter of faith. {grin}

Let's say that a very small institution publishes a number of URIs like "http://www.littlelibrary.org/authorities/4535". Then Little Library disappears as an organization, and its domain is purchased by someone else. It becomes instantly possible for that someone else to publish anything at all into that namespace and, if we base provenance on the DNS, we have no way to distinguish these groups of identifiers. You might say that VIAF is unlikely to disappear tomorrow, and that's true, but the point is that relying on domain name registrars to manage the provenance information of our metadata would be an accident waiting to happen.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library