It depends on how strictly you interpret "provenance" and the need/willingness to carry it's burden. If people are overly concerned about DNS, then what's the point of TimBL's 2nd principle of Linked Data?

2. Use HTTP URIs so that people can look up those names.

This isn't a heavy-weight form of provenance and won't serve all purposes, but it's useful and convenient.

Jeff