Dear Karen,

The complexity arises if someone other than OCLC (?) asserts something about a VIAF URI.

So, for example (and, please note, I’ve used a different URI, because, well, the one your provided is problematic for my purpose here), what if /I/ asserted:

http://viaf.org/viaf/64055977/ skos:note “He smelled very badly, all the time.”

On the surface it looks like VIAF/OCLC said Raphael smelled badly, all the time because, provenance-wise, the domain tracks back to OCLC.  In reality, I said it, but you cannot tell.

If we use global URIs, and additional statements are made against those, then something like this could happen.

Yours,

Kevin