Sorry for the garbled replies earlier. I'll switch accounts for now.

I agree with Ray, but realize that his suggestion to treat them as literals is a bitter pill and deserves some community thought and discussion.

I don't want to give up hope for eternity, though. It shouldn't be mandated, but it would be great if the agencies responsible for these IDs officially upgraded them to something like <http://<agency-domain>/<legacy-namespace>/<legacy-id> with the appropriate Linked Data behaviors. Many agencies are already doing this and we should encourage it. Furthermore, we should be willing to accommodate these URIs as best we can, regardless of which RDF vocabular(ies) the agency uses to describe the entities.

Conversely, I don't think that we as a community should be shy about coining URIs in our own domains using their id tokens and describing what we know about those entities to the best of our ability. Their things aren't necessarily "sameAs" our things and we shouldn't pretend otherwise, but sometimes we know something about the entity that they don't.

This may sound like a controversial idea, but I think we can and must deal with it.

Jeff (Young)