I agree.  That is one reason why we (Megan) have been developing strategies and workflows aimed at integrating audiovisual processing and description into our existing archival processing workflows, including describing audiovisual content in EAD finding aids.  Too often audiovisual items are intellectually separated from their contextual “home” via item level descriptive metadata that lives outside of the EAD finding aid.  I think it’s important that we not exclude any archival materials from our EAD finding aids simply because of their physical format, nor abandon archival theories and best practices for the same reason.

While I hope that are all able to create LD in the future and get it out there for others to use in any number of applications, I also believe that most of us will continue to create EAD finding aids for the foreseeable future, with all of “old fashioned” shortcomings.  I also believe that much of the structured data in those same finding aids could be repurposed to create LD.  Most importantly, however, is the need to provide immediate enhanced and easy online access to our archival audiovisual items and collections, and, to me, EAD seems to be the most efficient way to do this.

Barb

Barbara D. Aikens

Head of Collections Processing | Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution

Email: [log in to unmask] | Phone: 202.633.7941

Visit our website and the Terra Foundation Center for Digital Collections.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries: 750 9th Street, NW (at H) | Suite 2200 | Washington, DC 20001

U.S. Postal deliveries:  PO Box 37012 | Victor Building, Suite 2200, MRC 937 | Washington, DC 20013-7012