Trent,

No need to overcomplicate things.  I'd encode your zine entries as follows:

There are subelements in <unittitle> that could be used for encoding the
volume and numbers of the issues, but for what purpose? If you aren't
indexing the information or otherwise making use of mixed content encoding
like that, it's unnecessary.

<physdesc> can be used at any level of description, not just the collection
level.  For zines you might use <physdesc> to note how many issues you
have, or their dimensions, but not for specific issue numbers.

<container> is only appropriate for the box the zines are housed in - never
include descriptions of archival materials themselves in <container>.

Good luck.

Mike