Trent,

No need to overcomplicate things.  I'd encode your zine entries as follows:

There are subelements in <unittitle> that could be used for encoding the volume and numbers of the issues, but for what purpose? If you aren't indexing the information or otherwise making use of mixed content encoding like that, it's unnecessary.

<physdesc> can be used at any level of description, not just the collection level.  For zines you might use <physdesc> to note how many issues you have, or their dimensions, but not for specific issue numbers.

<container> is only appropriate for the box the zines are housed in - never include descriptions of archival materials themselves in <container>.

Good luck.

Mike