From: Amanda S Bielskas <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Subject: [GEONET] Last Days to submit abstracts for GSIS/GSA technical sessions!
To: [log in to unmask]

Please consider submitting an abstract for one of the Geoscience Information Society’s (GSIS) sessions at the Geological Society of America’s annual meeting, which will be held October 19 – October 22, 2014 in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

This year GSIS is planning to have an oral technical session and a poster session around the theme of geoscience data. This year’s session titles are:
•GSIS Oral Technical Session: “Where in the World? Access and Availability to Geoscience Data”
•GSIS Poster Session: “Where's the Data? Finding and Using Geoscience Data” (Posters)

What: GSIS/GSA Annual Meeting
When: Oct. 19-22, 2014
Where: Beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Deadline: Abstracts are due July 29, 2014 and can be uploaded online: http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2014/

Call for abstracts and posters:
Despite technological advances in data management and preservation standards, identifying and accessing geoscience data sets can be a daunting task.  One of our greatest challenges is how to respond to this new era of data‐intensive science discovery in the geosciences. This session will examine how researchers, information professionals and librarians are supporting ways to easily find and rapidly visualize and analyze and use geoscience data. Some thoughts we consider: How many people are looking for the old data; who needs data preserved? What happens with rediscovered and reused data? What impact is data management having on the geosciences? In what ways are the geosciences being transformed through new technologies and data services?  How will geoscience preservation policies transform the field? What are some of the challenges of and solutions to sharing and managing data within the geosciences? How can we better promote data-intensive scientific discovery in the geosciences.

We welcome oral papers about programs, projects, crowdsourcing initiatives, examples of interdisciplinary research, and unusual findings related to the long-term sustainability of geoscience data and information. We are particularly keen to solicit abstracts from students, researchers and librarians in order to see a diverse range of topics and data sets.

If you have any questions, please contact Earth Sciences Librarian Hannah Winkler at [log in to unmask]

Please post and forward as appropriate.

--
Amanda Bielskas
Head of Collection Development for Science & Engineering Libraries