Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Interior Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Battle of Mobile Bay" on Tuesday, July 15th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building's Rachel Carson Room (please note the new program location).

Through the early morning mist of August 5, 1864, a fleet commanded by Admiral David G. Farragut attempted to pass though the Confederate defenses which guarded Mobile Bay.  The bay was a lifeline of the Confederacy to the outside world.  The forces defending the bay were well aware of the dire consequences if the fleet entered and commanded entry and exit to its waters.  The resulting battle proved of paramount importance to the blockade proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln in 1861.  The aftermath of this battle firmly cemented Farragut's name as one of our nation's legendary naval officers.

We invite you to join Park Ranger Brad Berger as he discusses the Battle of Mobile Bay.  This Union victory, extensively covered by the Northern press, was a significant boost in Abraham Lincoln's bid for re-election three months after the battle.

All that are interested are invited.  The Rachel Carson Room is located in the basement level of the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building, next to the Interior Department's cafeteria.  The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building is located at 1849 C Street, NW in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] for more information about this program and/or directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi.gov/library.

We hope to see you on July 15th!

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 2262, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (202) 208-3796