On 2014-08-10 11:43 AM, CJB wrote:
> SyncToy sounded good until I read the Wiki
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy
>
> "A significant weakness of SyncToy, including the latest release, is
> that it does not notify the user of conflicts in which both copies of
> a file have been modified. It simply uses the latest version and
> overwrites the oldest. Without proper notification, the user could
> lose important changes on the older version."
>
> That is NOT good.
>
> CJB

Hello, CJ,

I agree that is not good, but how can you tell from file date and time
stamps alone if both have been changed? This is where a tracking
database, an available option in Vice Versa Pro (www.tgrmn.com), comes
into play. I have avoided using it as my structures tend to avoid
this--they are mostly one-way--and I encourage manual file versioning
among my small group of users (though they do it less than I would hope).

As an aside, I do not run VV Pro in SYNC mode, because I do NOT want the
backup copy deleted if the original is deleted. Once a year or so, I go
through and look at what has been deleted and then run scripts, after
approval, to delete the backups of the deleted primary files.

VVPro will also make archive copies (variable number and age, user
selectable) of files it overwrites, so it has an automatic versioning
capability, but I found that too unwieldy for general use and have
deleted it, especially for the large email files we have in Thunderbird
(Outlook makes similar sized files--maybe bigger but fewer in number).

Cheers,

Richard