Hi Jeanette,

Insect debris and leavings can be dealt with using the usual disc
cleaners that are safe for lacquer. First, you need to inspect each
disc carefully, looking for any cracks or other flaws that could
possibly allow the cleaning solution to loosen the lacquer coating.
Use a microscope if you have one available. Insect debris and leavings
can be stubborn and may require more than one cleaning cycle using
your preferred solution. If the disc surface is water tight, I will
let the solution stand for a few minutes before removing it because
insect leavings will usually contain enzymes that need to be dissolved.
I have a �junker� turntable purchased at a thrift store as my cleaning
platform. Basically, I use it like a Lazy-Susan that is 12�in diameter.

The cleaning cycle I usually use, for those discs that will tolerate a
wet approach, is to start by blowing off any dust and loose matter
with canned air in a well ventilated area (outside works well for
this!).  If useful, I will carefully brush the disc in the direction
of the grooves to loosen anything before applying a wet solution and
use the canned air a second time. I then apply the cleaning solution
from the dead wax area (carefully avoiding the label) out to the edge
of the disc using a small spray bottle. I brush the solution in the
direction of the grooves using a trimmed, fine bristle, artists brush
working from the center out while rotating the disc (outside-in works
as well). I remove the excess fluid using a clean lint free cloth and
vacuum the surface using a modified wet-dry vacuum. I apply a rinse of
distilled water and use the same procedure. Inspect the surface in
between each process to assess the results and repeat as necessary.

I live reasonably nearby (North of Santa Clarita) if you feel the need
for a second opinion.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering