Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Accidental stereo (again)
From: Paul Stamler <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, August 30, 2014 2:37 am
To: [log in to unmask]

On 8/29/2014 10:05 PM, Tom Daly wrote:
> I believe the guy whose name you referenced in your post was Alan D.
> Blumlein. He is the man credited by most as discovering (not inventing)
> the art of stereo recording, which he wanted to perfect but could not
> obtain financial backing.

Well, it was the depths of the Depression, which hit the UK as badly as
it did the USA. When the Depression ended Blumlein didn't have the
chance to go back to stereo; World War II was being fought, and he was
developing radar systems. He was killed in a plane crash while testing
one of them. A terrible loss; he was a brilliant man.

Peace,
Paul