-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lani Spahr
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 12:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Accidental stereo (again)

Hello All - I'm sure you're all familiar with the YouTube clip of Keith
Hardwicke throwing cold water on the "Californian idea" that there were 2
independent cutters working at HMV from which it's possible to create "
Accidental Stereo" ..In case you're not
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmr4x1V4OJY

My question is, does anyone know the name of the engineer who Keith refuses
to name? He said this man made the very first recordings at Abbey Road.
We know that the first recording made was on 11 November 1931. It was Elgar
conducting his Falstaff. The famous official "Opening" in the Pathe Newsreel
was from the next day, 12 November.

The matrix #s for this session have a prefix (indicating the engineer) of
2B, and in fact all of Elgar's subsequent recordings in Abbey Road were done
by the same engineer, 2B. (see Elgar on Record, JN Moore) I found a file
online http://www.recordingpioneers.com/docs/grurks/SUFFIX-PREFIX.pdf that
gives prefix #s for almost everyone (pg 4) except 2B.

I know this might open a can of worms but I'd like to know who this was. In
Elgar on Record on there is a picture (facing pg 161) of Edward "Chick"
Fowler at the lathe. In the Pathe clip there is another, different engineer
at the lathe. Fowler had a matrix ID of 0F or 2F, so it wasn't him.

Thanks in advance
Lani Spahr