>...  by on-demand retrieval, we can use them for display at the
>appropriate time (during the patron's session).

Considering the difficulty I am now having getting to the old LC
catalogue, I wonder what would happen if hundreds of OPACs across the
world were trying to access the same data source at the same time for
display?

There are also times here when a logging truck hits a power pole, and
our internet service provider goes down until repairs are made, and
power is restored to them.  Our back up generator lets us work
inhouse, but there is no outside connectivity.

Colour me agnostic about the brave new world of linked data.