As someone once* asked, "Is this rule necessary?"

For transcribed statements, a good place to begin the inquiry is to look at the  goals underlying the original rules, and to see if the rules chosen to achieve those goals are adequate or redundant.

I would argue that the primary goal addressed by rigidly controlled transcribed statements is to determine whether two descriptions are about the same thing. This explains why there is a need to record information as found (or modified by uniformly applied transforms).

There can be a limited amount of benefit to access if the transcribed statements contain terms that would not otherwise be present, but this purpose alone would not justify the specifity of the transcription rules.

If the lack of transcribed statements breaks record linkage badly, then the rules are clearly necessary ; however this _necessity_ would seem to arise from the act of description rather than the nature of what is described.

[The answer to Lubetzky for this situation is amenable to empirical solution; one could take a large number of _records_ , mutate them to simulate the records that might have been recorded if the rule were not present, then compare matching accuracy using e.g. Fellegi-Sunter linkage with weightings estimated by EM. It is of course important to account for the violations of the assumption of independence.
The estimated weights for different fields / subfields in the unmodified records may suggest which rules are important to match /non match determination.  ]

Simon // Is it not possible that it is possible that this is not a rule?