LCCNs have a normal form that is defined here:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/lccn-namespace.html

Normalization includes stripping blanks, removing everything after trailing
'/' , and expanding wildcard  '-' characters into 0 (for pre-Y2K numbers).

Using these normalized numbers in 010 fields is a matter of placing the
prefix at the start of the field, filling in any unused prefix chars with
spaces, then appending the number.

See the MARC 21 spec here for the skinny (it's the same for the other
formats).

http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd010.html

It is a good idea to normalize all LCCNs before comparing them (the v'ger
derivative that handles authorities.loc.gov had some weird errors due to
non-normalized LCCNs with trailing blanks).

(Note that this field is not ready for the Y10K problem.)

Simon