In fact, access would naturally be mediated by the same technique in use every day on the Web-- tiered caching. Libraries can add to that their own specialized techniques, like local indexing.

There is no reason to suppose that hundreds of OPACs would ever be doing what you describe, any more than there is to suppose that today, tens of millions of people are simultaneously connecting in real time to Google's Mountain View headquarters for every page request Google websites serve.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library