Thanks so much for following up on this, Sharon.  I think this is great
that we'll give this a try, and here are some thoughts for a very minimal
display.  I hope those with more visual flair will chime in!

1.  Design of display: I think that everyone should make sure their book
can be propped up, i.e. if your state's book is not a hardcover, you should
bring something that can prop the book up so that nothing is lying flat on
the table.  The Junior Leaguers can rotate the books around to give
different books the front row at different times

2.  Signage: First of all, if this display is in a booth (rather than a
table out on the periphery somewhere) it should have an identifying banner
just like each of our booths will have.  If the title on the list of books
is Great Reads About Great Places, then the banner should say Great Reads
About Great Places.  (I don't know if it's too late for the LOCCFB to order
such a thing.)

Secondly, there should be several copies of the map around the table and
maybe one taped to the front of the table.  I volunteer to show up at this
table on Saturday morning with tape and scissors.  Or maybe Anne can
enlarge the list onto an 8-1/2 by 11" sheet and put it into a holder?

Thirdly, about identifying each state's book: how do we feel about each
state putting their sticker on the corner of the front cover?  Or if that
is still too cryptic, an Avery label with the name of their state on it?

3.  Giveaways: I vote no.  People will stop by the table because there will
be a colorful melange of book covers to look at.

4.  Staffing: I think the wonderful Junior Leaguers are capable of saying,
"There are all the books that the states chose for the list on the back of
the map" and "Sorry, display purposes only, you can look but I'll need to
put the book back when you're done."

It hasn't been the practice to have these books on sale at the NBF, but
maybe next year we can start that tradition.

Thanks again,
Mary
California

--
Mary Menzel
Director, California Center for the Book