In the course of revising an authority record I added a form of personal
name that uses an at symbol (@):

 100 0- Barbara Jean, $d 1943-
 400 0- Barbara@Jean, $d 1943-

According to the NACO normalization table here:
<http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/naco/normrule-2.html>
such symbols are "retain[ed]" and therefore seem to be treated like any
other active character.  But when uploading the record to the NAF, I get an
error message that the "cross reference matches the [100 field] heading."
Is there a way around this short of either removing the 400 or using (if
this is kosher) a bracketed "at"?

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 Minitex
Coordinator                    University of Minnesota

the swift course of time." -- Shakespeare, "Two Gentlemen
of Verona," Act I, scene iii