See RDA Appendix G (Titles of Nobility, Terms of Rank, Etc.) and also Appendix A for the language involved.  In this case the title is French so it is not capitalized.  When the title is British, it is capitalized.  That’s why the capitalization varies in the name authority file.

Kate James
Policy and Standards Division
Library of Congress

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Groenwald, Rosemary
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] capitalization of royalty term baron

I recently had cause to use the following authority record. I plan on updating the record and removing the 667 note but I am not sure about the capitalization rules regarding the royalty term "baron". I noticed when searching the naf that sometimes the term is capitalized and sometimes it's not. I couldn't find an RDA rule or explanation regarding when it should be capitalized and when it shouldn't be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

010  n  50023126
040  DLC ǂb eng ǂc DLC ǂd DLC ǂd Uk ǂd DLC
046  ǂf 1768 ǂg 1830
1001 Fourier, Jean Baptiste Joseph, ǂc baron, ǂd 1768-1830
4001 Fourier, Joseph, ǂc baron, ǂd 1768-1830
667  THIS 1XX FIELD CANNOT BE USED UNDER RDA UNTIL THIS RECORD HAS BEEN REVIEWED AND/OR UPDATED
670  His Die Auflösung der ... 1902
670  His Joseph Fourier face aux objections contre sa théorie de la chaleur, 1980: ǂb t.p. (Joseph Fourier)
670  Lavoisier, A.L. Elements of chemistry, 1985: ǂb t.p. (Jean-Baptiste-Joseph Fourier)

Rosemary Groenwald
Head of Technical Services, Mount Prospect Public Library
Mount Prospect, IL  60056
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>     847-590-3650
"Opinions expressed are those of the sender and not the Mount Prospect Public Library."