Rosemary,

I don’t think you should capitalize “baron” when it indicates a French title.

The French capitalization instruction under A.40.4 Titles of persons (“Do not capitalize titles indicating rank or office”) seems to cover the situation. Appendix G identifies “baron” as a “term of rank”. The glossary definition of “title of person” is “A word or phrase indicative of royalty, nobility, or ecclesiastical rank or office, a term of address for a person of religious vocation, or another term indicative of rank, honour, or office.”

The general guideline for capitalizing names of persons, etc., under A.2.1 says to apply the guidelines at A.10-A.55 as applicable to the language involved. In this case, I think A.11.5.1 is not applicable; it would apply for “Baron” as an English title.

Manon

P.S. There is currently no justification for the title in the 670s of the record.

--

Manon Théroux

Head of Technical Services

U.S. Senate Library