From: Frank, Paul [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 10:49 AM
To: Groenwald, Rosemary
Cc: James, Kate
Subject: FW: capitalization of royalty term baron

Hi Rosemary,

Please reconsider the capitalization decision you made.

The term of rank “baron” should not be capitalized in the record you are re-coding to RDA, since Jean-Baptiste-Joseph Fourier is French.

You need to check two places in RDA to ascertain that baron should not be capitalized in this case, but it is a logical progression:

1)      RDA Appendix G (TITLES OF NOBILITY, TERMS OF RANK, ETC. ) lists baron as a term of rank in France

2)      You then need to consult RDA Appendix A (CAPITALIZATION) to see whether or not this term of rank is capitalized in French

3)      RDA Appendix A.40 covers French capitalization

4)      RDA A.40.4, Titles of Persons, says: “Do not capitalize titles indicating rank or office: le roi; le ministre; le pape Léon X.”

5)      Since we determined in RDA Appendix G that baron is a term of rank, and since Jean-Baptiste-Joseph Fourier is French, you would apply this sentence from A.40.4, resulting in baron not being capitalized

I can see where you might have gotten off track—you are right that in Appendix G the terms of rank in the United Kingdom peerage are not capitalized in the display, but they are given here as terms only, just for identification. In order to determine whether or not you need to capitalize the term of rank for an English person, you have to consult Appendix A.11.5 for English, and there you will find that you do capitalize the term Baron. But since the person you are working with is French, Appendix A.11.5 does not apply; A.40.4 applies instead.

So, baron with lower-case “b”

You might want to let the PCC list know about this, too!

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Frank

Acting Coordinator, NACO and SACO Programs

Cooperative Programs Section

Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division

Library of Congress

101 Independence Ave., SE

Washington, DC 20540-4230

202-707-1570