The Music Library Association has responded to a lot of these, shall we say, less-than-clear areas of RDA with a set of recommended best practices for cataloging.  This document is updated periodically, but I believe the most recent version can be found here:

http://bcc.musiclibraryassoc.org/BCC-Historical/BCC2014/RDA%20Best%20Practices%20for%20Music%20Cataloging_v101.pdf

The document includes copious examples which can be most helpful in cases like these.

andrea

--

(Ms.) Andrea Cawelti
Ward Music Cataloger