From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Annette Ingram
Sent: 27 August 2014 13:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Relator codes

Dear Robert

Thank you for your reply. Just one question. You say that if the MARC 1XX is not a creator, a relator designation is optional. But what if the 1XX is a creator (like the author of a book). Is the relator designation compulsory then?

Regards.
Annette

>>> Robert Bratton <[log in to unmask]> 2014/08/27 02:16 PM >>>
Hello Annette,

Here are the PCC Guidelines for the Application of Relationship Designators in Bibliographic Records:

http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Relat-Desig-Guidelines-AUTH-Final.docx

Two highlights"

"Include a relationship designator for all creators, whether they are coded MARC 1XX or MARC 7XX.  If the MARC  1XX is not a creator, the addition of a relationship designator is optional though strongly encouraged.  Add a relationship designator even if the MARC field definition already implies a relationship.  Relationships should be coded explicitly and not inferred from MARC or other parts of the record.

Guideline 9.  PCC highly encourages including relationship designators for all access points whenever it is clear what the relationship is."

Robert

--

Robert Bratton

Cataloging Librarian

Jacob Burns Law Library

George Washington University

Washington, DC

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:24 AM, Annette Ingram <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues
>
> We are implementing RDA original cataloguing soon and I would like to
> know whether the usage of relator codes (#e) with authors, editors,
> corporate bodies, etc. is mandatory in RDA? We feel that it is
> sometimes superfluous (like #eauthor) but would not like to contravene mandatory RDA guidelines.
> If it is mandatory, could I please have a reference to present to my
> "critical" colleagues. I have been unsuccessful in finding a clear
> guideline thus far.
>
> Thank you and kind regards.
>
> Annette Ingram (Cataloguer & trainer, University of Pretoria,
> Pretoria, South Africa)

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk<http://www.bl.uk/>
The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts : www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html<http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html>
Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. www.bl.uk/adoptabook<http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print