From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Hearn
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: order of language and publisher qualifiers

I need to create another series authority for a translated multi-part edition of Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. Looking at the ones already established (none in RDA), I see a number of series authorities where the title is followed directly by a language (e.g., Lewis ... $t Chronicles of Narnia. $l Spanish -- a series published by Rayo) and a number where the $t includes a publisher qualifier, followed by a language (e.g., Lewis ... $t Chronicles of Narnia (HarperCollins (Firm)). $l Spanish).

RDA 6.27.3 on authorized access points for expressions instructs us to combine "in this order":

a) AAP for the work
b) one or more terms from the following list:
   i) content type
   ii) date of expression
   iii) language of expression
      and/or
   iv) another distinguishing characteristic

It's not clear whether and how "in this order" applies to the list of terms i-iv).  Looking at the examples, "... Babar en famille. English. Spoken word" puts iii) language before i) content type, while all instances in the examples of iv) terms appear after i-iii) terms when present. That could be the result of cataloger's judgment applied without strict guidance from RDA on the order of terms i-iv).

Some guidance is supplied by the LC-PCC PS for 6.27.3: "Identify an expression in a language different from that of the original expression by adding the name of the language in subfield $l to the authorized access point for the work." Presumably "Lewis ... $t Chronicles of Narnia (HarperCollins (Firm))" would be considered an access point for an expression, not for a work; but note that that AAP has also been established (for one of HarperCollins English editions), and collocation of the series AAPs by publisher may have been intended.

Is the sequence of i-iv) terms meant to be prescriptive? Can or should a qualifier for publisher precede a qualifier for language in cases like this? If AAPs for some translated expressions of a work are qualified first by publisher and others first by language, is that a problem that needs correcting, or just a point on which catalogers' judgments may differ?

Thanks,

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist