From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of McDonald, Stephen
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 1:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: order of language and publisher qualifiers

I think you misunderstood me.  I mentioned that a critical edition might actually be considered an aggregate, but that’s not what I was talking about.  I was talking about an ordinary new edition of a single Work.  A new edition, with new cover art, new publisher, and new introduction, is not considered a new Expression—it is a Manifestation of the same Expression as the original edition.  So why should a new edition of a series, with new cover art, new publisher, and new introduction, be considered a new Expression of the original series?  Why should that get a new series authority record, when you wouldn’t make a new authority record for a new edition of a single Work?  Why should a new edition of a series be considered a new aggregate work if the only differences are publisher, cover art, and maybe introduction?  What makes that an aggregate work?

                                                                                Steve McDonald