Maybe this is another case where we're arguing over whether two things are the same or different, a fundamental source of disagreements. For Bob, all multipart editions of Narnia in English are the same thing--the literary work Chronicles of Narnia.  For me, they're different--containers of the same work, but with differences among the containers which are worth representing.  Since the principle indication that a series exists is the series title,  I'm inclined to see the series title as naming something separate from the literary work. The series title should apply only to the volumes in that series, not to all instances of the literary work. Hence the need to qualify series titles in AAPs even in a case like Narnia, so that they can specifically name the series each one represents on the volumes belonging to that series.

To regard each series as an expression of the literary work also still seems problematic to me.  There's not enough difference among the texts to mark these as different expressions of the literary work--I'd agree with the point that these are all the same expression.  Hence my preference for seeing these series as distinct though very thin aggregate work shells containing the literary work.

In any case, and in the interests of closure--I'll be submitting my series authority proposals to Bob, whose analyses I respect and who has graciously been overseeing my RDA series review. Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion.

Stephen