Dear Robert

Thank you for your reply. Just one question. You say that if the MARC 1XX is not a creator, a relator designation is optional. But what if the 1XX is a creator (like the author of a book). Is the relator designation compulsory then?

Regards.
Annette

>>> Robert Bratton <[log in to unmask]> 2014/08/27 02:16 PM >>>
Hello Annette,

Here are the PCC Guidelines for the Application of Relationship Designators
in Bibliographic Records:

http://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Relat-Desig-Guidelines-AUTH-Final.docx

Two highlights"

"Include a relationship designator for all creators, whether they are coded
MARC 1XX or MARC 7XX.  If the MARC  1XX is not a creator, the addition of a
relationship designator is optional though strongly encouraged.  Add a
relationship designator even if the MARC field definition already implies a
relationship.  Relationships should be coded explicitly and not inferred
from MARC or other parts of the record.

Guideline 9.  PCC highly encourages including relationship designators for
all access points whenever it is clear what the relationship is."

Robert

--

Robert Bratton

Cataloging Librarian