I puzzled by the statement that "we currently don't create authorized
access points for manifestations." We certainly are including publisher
information in RDA series authorities and applying those series authorities
to the matching publisher's edition.

Is the point that this included information is intended to be only
historical, and NOT descriptive of the resources to which the AAP is
applied?  In the Narnia case, should all the English language multipart
editions be represented by a single series authority provided they all
contain the same texts, regardless of whatever publisher might be specified
in that authority?

Would a single numbering practice be applied to all publishers' editions?
In the Narnia case, the numbering is a particular problem, since the series
has been published with different numbering applied to the volumes
(sometimes "The Lion, etc" is no. 1, sometimes it's no. 2; etc.). If the
series AAP on the bib record includes the number from the piece, and one
uses one AAP for all the editions with the same text, the same bib AAP +
number could be applied to manifestations of different works.

One could argue that series authorities for multipart literary works
represent a distinct aggregate work which contains the literary work but
combines it with artwork, design, and editorial contributions specific to
the series, and that it is this derived aggregate work which is specified
in the series authority, not the literary work itself.  The publisher
becomes a token for representing this larger nexus of distinguishing
characteristics.  Is that an argument worth pursuing as a way of accounting
for common practice in the context of RDA?

Stephen