Bib records include a mix of work, expression, and manifestation data, and
a lot of the underlying relationships are only implied. If I add a cover
artist's name to a bib record for a literary work (which we do for our
special collections), I'm not relating the artist directly to the
manifestation. I'm saying implicitly "Literary expression is part of
aggregate work; aggregate work includes cover art; Cover art has artixt X."
The fact that I show only "700 $a X, $e artist" on the record for the book
just elides that set of relationships, it doesn't replace it with a simpler
relationship between artist and manifestation. (Cf. FRBR 5.1, third
paragraph.)

The argument is that a series edition of a multipart literary work is
(usually and arguably) a different work (NB: work, not expression)--an
aggregate work which contains the literary work (or more precisely, an
expression of the literary work) as its primary content. This all gets
further elided and muddled by LC's decision that one AAP should serve for
both the work and its original language expression.  (Note also that for
LC, the idea that "Difference in translation is clearly a difference in
Expression" isn't really the case when it comes to the AAP--cf. LC-PCC PS
6.27.3, "When identifying an expression not already represented by a name
authority record, do not add another characteristic to differentiate one
such expression from another expression; (e.g., do not differentiate one
translation of Shakespeare’s Hamlet in French from another French
translation ...).")

So, if the HarperCollins Spanish series were reproduced by another
publisher, the extent to which the HarperCollins series AAP could still be
applied would depend on the extent to which the new publisher had added to
or altered the aggregate content. If not at all, I'd be inclined to say
that the HarperCollins series AAP would still be applicable, especially if
the new publisher reproduced the HarperCollins series title page.  On the
other hand, if the new publisher also added its own series title--an
important piece of the definition of a series--then an AAP for that series
could also be formulated and applied.

This all reminds me of the Magic Eye graphics. You look at a flat page of
dense wiggles and speckles of color, and that's all you see, until
suddenly--there's a dinosaur! The FRBR perspective on resources requires
this kind of stereoscopic focus on what at first seems to be fairly a flat
surface but can be resolved into multidimensional layers of entities and
relationships.

Stephen

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota