At 06:52 PM 9/29/2014, Eric Jacobs wrote:

>Take a look at Sorbathane, which is a both a vibration damper and
>isolator.  Thick 1-inch sheet works very well.  Not cheap, but
>cheaper than moving a wall.

Sorbothane is good stuff -- it would work very well between a piece of
butcher block and the top of the cabinet (or better yet, a piece of granite
countertop).  1/4" would be thick enough for that use.  But I wouldn't want
to cover the sides of my filing cabinet with sorbothane.  It feels kind of
slimy, and if a large surface area remains exposed, it's very difficult to
keep clean.  I'd want to glue a piece of wood to the sorbothane.  I think
the car vibration damping material (which has an aluminum surface) is
probably good enough, and a lot less trouble to install.

-- John Chester