At 04:16 PM 9/30/2014, DAVID BURNHAM wrote:

>JOHN Chester wrote:
>"I've done enough dialog editing to know that a few male voices are quite
>asymmetrical."
>
> From my experience, (about the same length of time as yours), I would say
> that every human voice is asymmetrical; in fact, I would say that every
> natural sound is asymmetrical.  Sometimes a flute or clarinet can produce
> a sound which is almost sinusoidal but otherwise only electronically
> generated sine waves and square waves are symetrical.

Yes, perfectly symmetrical waveforms are quite boring, musically
speaking.  Let me change my statement to "a few male voices are
exceptionally asymmetrical".  Not quite as extreme as a muted trumpet, but
extreme enough that I can easily recognize the polarity by looking at the
waveform.  I can't say that about most musical waveforms.

-- John Chester