I have a broadcast performance of an all-Gershwin concert from 12 July 1947; Paul Whiteman conducts. Earl Wild performs the Rhapsody in Blue and the Concerto in F. Both feature a chorus!

Karl

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:08 AM, Paul Urbahns <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Ben Roth wrote:

> I just discovered a 2-disc 78rpm set of the Rhapsody in Blue conducted by
> Paul Whiteman with Earl Wild, AND A CHORUS in the background.
> Does anyone know anything about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owXkyvh3XPc

This You Tube video says it was issued in 1947.  The "King of Jazz" as
Whiteman credited himself frequently used chorus but it this case seems
like a little overload where it comes in at 11 minutes and throughout the
finale. I like it, but wish it was done in stereo so you can tell the
chorus from the orchestra better.

Paul Urbahns
Radcliff, Ky