I always thought Phase-4 was a very weak development.  The whole premise seems to focus on the development of the pan-pot.  I found early Decca Stereo recordings far superior to any Phase-4 release.  Just compare the early Decca Stereo D'Oyly-Carte "H.M.S. Pinafore" with the Phase-4 version.  I have some Phase-4 CDs, like Stokowski's "Pictures at an Exhibition" and the excessive compression is just irritating.  Similarly early RCA, Columbia, Mercury and European labels produced far superior Stereo recordings.  Even RCA's "Stereo Action" recordings were along the same line as Phase-4 but were superior quality.

db