Hi there,

please take me off this mailout - thanks.

From:   DAVID BURNHAM <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask],
Date:   05/09/2014 01:42 PM
Subject:        Re: [ARSCLIST] Accidental stereo (again)
Sent by:        Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List

I just read most of the information in your attachments, Tom; I would love
to hear the Reginald Foort Organ record that is shown.  I did not quite
understand how Cook's twin groove records provide superior mono
compatibility because if you play either groove you'll only get one
channel, and if you use a Cook stereo arm to play both channels and mix
them to mono, the best you'll get is as good as a single 45/45 groove but
most likely a microscopic misallignment of the arms will cause a phase
shift.  The author does say, (I don't know if this is modern writing or
historic), that binaural cannot be properly listened to using speakers
because of both channels getting to both ears - exactly what we were
discussing.

I'm not sure but I don't believe earphones were ever used to listen to
music before the introduction of Stereo.  Mono sounds very poor on
headphones - the source of sound is in the middle of your head.  So the
message I get from this is that in the earliest days of "Stereo" recording
the intent was that it should be listened to on earphones.

db

On Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:14:48 PM, Tom Fine
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am pretty sure (based on photos and somewhat sketchy descriptions in
magazine articles) that
>Cook's early stereo recordings were made with 2 widely spaced mics onto a
Magnecorder staggered-head