I am listening to a recording of Morton Feldman's Piano and string quartet
on a Bridge CD (catalog no. 9369). This piece clocks in at 79:13 and is
recorded as a single track of that length. The sound drops out from time to
time for a moment, which leads me to wonder if the unusual length of the
disc and track is a factor have listened to this disc on my computer's CD
drive without these dropouts.

Can someone give a lucid, brief, explanation of what causes the dropouts
and why the results are different on my computer and CD player?

Curious as ever,

Peter Hirsch