Tom, Paul, Shai, Ellis,

Thanks for the feedback. I did not mention this, but the CD had just been
taken out of the jewel case for the first time and  I do handle my CDs with
the same care I was taught regarding those black discs that I first
encountered in the 1950's. So, I do not think damage or age is too likely a
culprit (it is a cutout, but I have purchased hundreds from this source,
many on the same label and there have only been one or two that were
defective in any way over the span of probably close to thirty years) The
advice to rip and burn a copy may work, though I am not sure that my cheapo
software lets me load 79 minutes + onto the burn list. I will give it a try
anyway. Thanks for the reminder. I now recall that I had another disc that
sounded like a cellophane factory on fire when I played it on this same CD
player (it may be time to retire it - I wonder if they still make decent
hardware to play this "obsolete format"? ;-|)). I recalled this remedy that
someone mentioned on this list but in a somewhat different context and it
worked like a charm.

Before I drop this whole issue, I have another thought about how to deal
with making recordings of Mr. Feldman's works that often are single
movements lasting well beyond the 63 minute length mentioned in the
response from one of you. Would DVD audio or some other recording format be
a possible work around? I don't know a whole lot about the format, but I do
know that movies a lot longer than an hour and a half commonly fit on a
single DVD.

Just before I decided to hit send, I had a flashback to a recording of
Feldman's second string quartet that takes more than five uninterrupted
hours. My first copy of this recording on Mode was unsatisfactorily broken
up onto five CDs, but there was a subsequent issue of the same recording
pressed onto DVD, which I have just dug out. Guess I answered my own
question. Don't know when I'll carve out the free time to sit down and
enjoy. Maybe after my next all-day Ring Cycle debauch, I can use it to
cleanse my palate.

Thanks again,

Peter Hirsch