Hi, I'm new to this list, so forgive me if this question has been answered
before!
I'm based in the UK and doing a project recording contemporary musicians on
a 78 presto lathe- one mic, one take, one cut. We're then building this into
a contemporary archive. The majority of the musicians are those who play
traditionally inspired music (recently recorded Sheesham & Lotus & son
(Toronto)  and the lost brothers (Ireland)).
We're looking to further develop the project by building a traditional
recording booth- of the voice o graph type- the ones which used to be around
in the 40s-60s, which would then travel around cities, placed where the old
recording booths used to be, where the public could record a record, and
there would be a range of performances from musicians we have worked with.

I've already been in touch with the British Library and the British Sound
Archive looking for  any archival/historical information on these recording
booths, but they have been unable to find anything, so referred me to this
list. I know Jack White has a voice o graph in his studio, but aside from
that, am finding it very hard to find out anything about their history- if
anyone could help, that would be brilliant!
Thank you!
Lorna Fulton
e: [log in to unmask]
t: + 44 (0) 7771 692971