http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/business/media/cd-loving-japan-resists-move-to-digital-music-.html

I can say from some experiences with classical reissues that the Japanese market is definitely
unique, as stated by several people in the article. When you put something out that they like, it's
a very lucrative market and Japanese executives and consumers are wonderfully enthusiastic about the
product. The trick is figuring out exactly what they like.

I can also understand why downloads don't resonate with Japanese. For one thing, many Japanese are
serious music listeners and probably don't like the bad quality of lossy sound. For another,
Japanese culture celebrates physical objects, especially beautiful ones. CD packaging can be very
appealing. And, Japanese consumers like to have a lot of textual information with their music
purchases, and downloads usually include NO documentation (a minority include a PDF of liner notes).

-- Tom Fine