Sorry for coming in late on this thread.

However, I Beta tested Capitol's entry into the professional tape
market in the mid 70's. It was actually quite good when it was
introduced, compared well with Ampex 456. About a year or so into
production, the tape had shedding problems and it killed their meager
market share. Virtually all of the Capitol tape I have run across in
the last few years has gone SS.

Regards,

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering